Seeing, Peeking, Viewing.
We'd like to share a little bit of our world with yours.
Motherhood, watching Freedom grow & other delightful things!
A generation of awareness & authenticity, LAUGHTER & LOVE.

8.30.2008

2 Weeks of Locs






Today marks the first two weeks of the dread lock process down. Today I returned to Robin's loctician space, to have her wash & maintain my hair. Things have been going fairly smooth. I used a dry shampoo to condition, clean and protect my scalp for these past two weeks. Most likely, since I'm used to shampooing my hair frequently and rinsing it daily, my scalp did get a bit irritated, dry and itchy, but it was all manageable. Sometimes, it can be important to avoid getting the locks wet, during the beginning stages, as it aids in their ability to lock. I was worried that I might not be doing enough to maintain the locks, as they can sometimes come apart a bit, but Robin assured me that they looked just fine, and in fact she seems pleasantly surprised at how nice they are looking, and also how well they remained intact, even after she gave me a shampoo and rinse. Those first two weeks the only thing holding them sort of together was a natural honey syrup, which was sticky in the beginning, but appears to have really helped this baby stage along.




I wasn't sure myself how to describe the process of the locks to someone, but basically what is happening is that your hair begins to mesh together, twist, intertwine and essentially the long term goal is for it to eventually "lock" into place. This isn't something that necessarily happens immediately, and can take weeks, months or longer to begin to really occur, especially when the process is organic & natural. However, each and every different person or hair texture that is going through a locking process varies. So, I am in a waiting period, of managing, molding, learning about, maintaining and understanding my own hair and how it locks. My hair continues to remain wax & synthetic product free. Robin used her own homemade shampoo to cleanse my scalp and hair, and a small amount of natural paste to mold the locks, today. I'm liking my hair in locks so far, and happy with the work Robin has done.

1 comment:

  1. I love how it looks up! So glad it is going well so far.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...