Seeing, Peeking, Viewing.
We'd like to share a little bit of our world with yours.
Motherhood, watching Freedom grow & other delightful things!
A generation of awareness & authenticity, LAUGHTER & LOVE.

2.20.2011

Estate Sales :: Tis' the Season

A .50 cent Vintage Cherry Red Handolier & $1 Green Cheese Grater by Tupperware.

I LOVE ALL THINGS VINTAGE & antique & retro & full of history from another era.  Second, only to my son, is my passion for thrift store finds, garage sale deals, antique store treats and estate sale treasures!  There is just something so beautiful about the way "old stuff" preserves history and tells a story.  The colors, the style, the texture, the smell of so many vintage things, make my heart sing!  I love to do a little (okay a lot) of online window shopping, just staring at all the unique finds that exist on etsy.com, or ebay.com, or Craigslist.  Some of the things I adore are way out of my price range (more than $10), so they exist only as a museum item, curated by me, in my own favorites list, to reference and savor and spill over on another day. 

I went to my first estate sale of the spring season yesterday & it was a goodie, but I felt so weird poking around this late old lady's precious things, with her children & grandchildren sitting there helping.  I've thought about this in previous years, how it feels so strange to go through boxes of someone's stuff that obviously has history & a story and was beloved, not to mention these people (the family of the deceased) are probably grieving, all while they watch you buy their mom's dishes for .25 cents. Sigh.  Hopefully all the people digging through the estate finds will cherish or appreciate the things they buy, as much as I do/will/would.  I'm on a neverending mission, hunt, adventure for mid-century decor, vintage tupperware, vintage pyrex, dishware, Black Americana memorbilia collectibles, children's toys & books, retro Fisher Price items, pots & pans, cool frames and currently, stuff to help me recreate a shabby chic inspired vintage look, in my own suburban totally un-chic modern home bathroom.  To be continued.  I have a vision. 

So, as much as the estate sales can truly be bittersweet, I will continue my journey, respecting the previous owners of the stuff I bring home to live with me.
It does make you realize though, how having too much stuff is so not worth it, so much in the end, it ends up in strangers hands, it's just stuff.  I love trinkets & vintage & antique & history and I cherish the idea that each thing was potentially valued and loved by someone, but I still want to minimize my "stuff o' crap", before I'm ashes to ashes & dust to dust. :)
That being said, I picked up some great tupperware, a package of fun lil vintage napkins & a retro handmade felt birdie ornament at the sale. LOL!
I ♥ Estate Sales & Vintage Tupperware!

post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...